30.3.11

Goal Setting

Week four at this school and I'm incredibly homesick. Last week I struggled with even the most basic of tasks and allowed myself to become completely overwhelmed with so much that was outside of my control. But I am slowly learning that berating myself for being two steps behind isn't really motivating myself to move forward. Instead, when I criticize myself, I find that I divide into two sides - one angry and shaming, and the other scared and holding on to old habits with a tenacity that's unshakable. It really creates a Chinese finger trap situation where as long as I pull, I'm met with incredible resistance, but when I start allowing the outcome to be what it will and stop struggling, I find myself free to make any choice I want. Never is the old adage, "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" more true for me than now. Even if I have to take a hundred first steps, I'll still be farther along than if I never took a step at all.

Yesterday, a new interactive communication/gaming tool was released. I have been struggling with whether spending my coin on this is a valuable use of my coin or not. I'm also struggling with what I should require of myself before achieving this reward. On the one hand, I'm considering setting an xp or level goal, but on the other, maybe I should set a goal of x number of days where I participated, or how many times I positively reinforce myself. I wonder if any of my peers have any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I'd suggest setting a goal like "Gain 300 experience in a week, without doing any quests" if you want to get this device.
    300 experience may be a bit high, but it is meant to motivate you to working towards this goal, meaning that it may not be this week you accomplish it, as you may only get 180 experience, but perhaps the next week you would be able to gain the 300 exp? By doing this it could help you gain more experience than you traditionally would, but also help you get that device you desire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We talked about this yesterday, but I think it should be a combination of things, not just about doing physical work (because you have physical goals) but also about working on the psychological piece of weight loss. I still think it's a good idea to challenge yourself to come up with 20 ways to treat yourself on a stressful day other than by eating fast food or spending money on expensive things. I'm sure we'll discuss this again soon.

    ReplyDelete