17.3.11

Health Fail

Yesterday was a difficult day for me. I received notification from a messenger that one of my mother's kin had fallen ill, an aunt I was particularly fond of. My first thought was to leave school and return home to visit her, but after sending a carrier bird with the message I received a reply which insisted that I remain. I am sorely distraught by this news, I feel powerless to help my kinswoman, but also afraid at the thought of what might happen to her. So instead of keeping on course yesterday, I took a huge step back. I realized that I use eating as a way to deal with stress, and that relying on food as a way to comfort myself is ultimately self-destructive. Jinn met with me and stayed by my side for most of the eve. I am reminded that this process is truly a journey in which I am the infant stages.

2 comments:

  1. I feel obliged to set the record straight, while Biirna does not give herself enough credit (as usual), she did not eat as she regularly would as she chose to eat neither the beef nor deep fried foods that were readily availble to her at dinner. As I see it, Biirna, you are making progress and you need to congratulate yourself for all successes no matter how small they may seem to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jinn- small successes are the building blocks on which we set our esteem this early. We need them to get better and feel better, and they should not be ignored.

    ReplyDelete